Vision for AAPN Omaha
To transform Omaha into a city that is recognized as a great place for African-Americans to live, work, play, worship, and raise a family; we will work together to ensure the representation of African-Americans in all sectors at every level of Omaha’s workplace meets or exceeds the percent of African-Americans in the community.
Mission for AAPN Omaha
To strengthen multi-generational, cross industry professional relationships and increase employment opportunities for African-Americans at all career stages (entry, middle management, senior management, and executive) by implementing and enhancing successful communication, networking – socially and professional, career development, community engagement, and leadership strategies.
AAPN Omaha Participants
Please attend and participate! As we continue assessing the needs and gathering input for the formation and expansion of the AAPN, we will host events, activities, and opportunities for African-American professionals to communicate and connect. In the near future, we will introduce membership opportunities.
AAPN seeks to reach African-American professionals who are interested in improving their careers and contributing to the community. The primary audience for the AAPN is individuals working in the for-profit sector. Professionals working in non-profit and governmental positions are also welcome and encouraged to participate.
Please encourage African-American Professionals in your network to participate in upcoming events. We will also need participants to assist with sub-committees. Please let us know what areas you may be interested in assisting.
OBJECTIVES & GOALS:
- Communications and Connections: Improve communication among African-American professionals using various tools including – social networking, e-mail, web-sites, video conferencing, and other means
- Enhance connections between African-American professionals through various forums – including conferences, workshops, site visits, professional networking events, social events, and other Career Development, Coaching, and Employment
- Increase the number of African-American professionals with an effective Career Development Plan
- Increase the career developmental opportunities for African-American professionals
- Increase the number of African-American professionals with a coach, mentor, and sponsor
- Increase the number of African-American professionals employed at entry level positions in business, corporate Omaha, and other professional positions
- Increase the number of African-American professionals in middle management, senior management within businesses, corporate Omaha, and other professional positions
Community Engagement & Influence:
- Increase the number of African-American professionals that are serving in the community (volunteering, mentoring, etc.)
- Increase the number of African-American professionals that are actively involved in the Empowerment Covenant and Empowerment Challenge
- Increase the number and fiscal responsibility of African-American professionals that contribute and invest financially in the community (example: consumer power, pooling of resources, supporting AA businesses and organizations)
- Increase the number African-American professionals serving and leading on for profit boards
- Increase the number of African-American professionals serving in leadership positions on non-profit boards and commissions in the community
- The African-American Professionals currently participate in the Empowerment Conference, African-American Leadership Conference and the Strategic Meeting held each December.
Some participants have expressed an interest in more frequent, possibly monthly meetings. If you are interested in assisting with this initiative, please contact the Empowerment Network at 402-502-5153.